Match Report: West Side v Point 23/5/15

By | 28 May

Reds Routed in Wild West Shootout

Westside 7 v 3 Point

(Highland Am Cup Rd 2) 23/5/15

Match Details Here

Point crashed out of this year’s Highland Amateur Cup at the hands of last year’s league champions. On a wet and wild night in Barvas, the Rudhach defence had a bad night and couldn’t cope with the energy and speed of the West forward line. A nightmare 10 minute spell at the end of the first half, during which the West scored 3 goals,  put paid to any realistic chance the Reds had of progressing to the open draw.

First half
First off, I couldn’t write any notes as it was too wet, so apologies if I forget any major incidents or get things wrong. It actully reminded me of a night many moons ago when I was coaching the Point U18s at the Barvas machair. On that occasion I was linesman and it was horrendous conditions, so bad that the Western Thistle manager was watching the game from his car! Anyway I went to use my phone at the end of the game only to find it had drowned in a puddle in my pocket!
Back to Saturday and the Reds found themselves a goal behind after 2 minutes. Wally had just had a shot well saved by Peter Macaskill when a wind assisted cross from the West left found Ally “Barvas” at the back post who managed to poke the ball beyond Ally Lamont in the Point  goal. West 1 v 0 Point.
The Reds regrouped and equalised 3 minutes later. A good move down the left involving Elliot and Wally set Duncan “Gotze” Hunter free and Dunc hit a half volley as sweet as a nut beyond Peter Macaskill and into the net! West 1 v 1Point.
For the next 20 minutes the Reds coped fairly well playing into the wind, restricting the West to long shots.  As the half wore on however, the Blues slowly began to take over.
After 25 minutes, the West won a few corners in a row and Martainn Shields’  expert delivery was posing the Red’s problems. One corner looked like it was going straight in but Kettings managed to clear it away with the help of the crossbar. A few minutes later Spike had to clear off the line following another corner. The Reds seemed on their heels and weren’t attacking the ball as they should have. A goal was coming and sure enough it was following yet another set piece.
A corner was cleared to the edge of the box where it was passed back out to Martainn on the wing. He cut the ball back to Ali Williamson who had far too much time to pass the ball into the corner of the net from 12 yards. West 2 v 1 Point. (40 mins). The Red’s management would have been happy to go in at 2-1 down given the big wind advantage but there was to be a very nasty sting in the tail at the end of the half.
Another West corner was cleared to the edge of the box where last years top scorer Innes Iain Morrison was waiting. The Rudhach defence were slow to get out to Innes who rifled a shot high into the net from 20 yards. Great strike which gave Ally Lamont no chance. West 3 v 1 Point. As if that wasn’t enough a shell shocked Reds defence were slow to react to an Ally Williamson cross a minute later and Innes Iain spun away from Ally G before slipping the ball under Ally Lamont and into the net. These 2 goals might have been the other way round, I can’t remember, it all happened so fast.

It was a horrendous end to the half, the defending at set pieces was especially frustrating. We had to believe that with the wind we could score a few goals, although punting the ball long would not be the way to go. The boys ventured back into the storm hoping to grab an early goal.

Second half
It would be hard to get the balance right between going for goals and being caught on the break by a quick energetic West team. After 55 minutes the Reds were given a lifeline when Sam swivelled at the edge of the box and curled a left foot beauty into the far corner beyond Peter. Game on!! West 4 v 2 Point. The Reds continued to pile on the pressure and Stu F had a couple of headed chances just clear the crossbar. If we could get within a goal then maybe the West would get a bit jittery.
After 75 minutes, as time was running out for the Rudhachs, Jamie Sullivan was found free in the box and he finished the chance nicely to put Westside 3 goals clear again. West 5 v 2 Point The Reds wouldnt lie down though and Wally hammered in an unstoppable free kick to give the Reds a tiny chance. (80 mins) West 5 v 3 Point. With 5 mins left Sam had a great chance with a header which he put over and then there was a big scramble in the West box following another corner. It wasn’t to be for the Reds and West caught us twice on the break in the last few minutes.
After 87 mins Gordon Campbell was allowed to run through a static Red defence to slip the ball under Ally for 6-3 and then Jamie Sullivan set up fellow youngster Luke Mackay for 7-3. Fulltime.

A night to forget for the Rudhachs. Our defending let us down and we will need to sort it out ASAP as we have the Jock Stein semi final v Lochs on Wednesday night.

Point man of the match: Wally Maciver. Constant menace with the ball at his feet and scored another cracker. Special mention to Duncan “Hummells” Hunter.

Moment of match: The game was lost in the 5 minutes before halftime.

Moan of the match: Everything. It’s not fair.