Match Report: Westside v Point 15/06/16

By | 10 May

Angus Sends Aths Spinning

Aths 1 v 4 Point

ABC Cup First Round 15/05/15

A quick fire double from Angus Macdonald turned this cup tie on its head as the Reds eventually eased their way into the semi finals of the Acres Cup.

Aths took the lead after 3 minutes when former Reds hitman Mo Khalil set up Ross Allison to curl a great shot up and over Ali Lamont and into the net. The. Reds started to dominate possession but Aths 5 4 1 formation was proving tricky to break down. After about 20 minutes, Mo was played clean through to put the Aths into a commanding position. Ali Lamont was having none of it though and scampered to his right to stop the Egyptian from walking round him. Great keeping.

Cally Mackayand Wally Maciver then combined but Aths’ keeper/player/manager Titch blocked Wally’s shot well. Aside from a couple of long shots from Angus Macdonald and Hugh Morrison (making an impressive debut), the Reds didn’t really threaten and the final pass was letting them down.

At half time Coach Stoodie urged the team to keep the width and be patient. Chances would come. Elliot Rudall had finished work so he came on for Cally who had put in a good shift as target man. Wally moved up front as part of the reshuffle.

Into the second half and it didn’t take the Reds long to equalise. Wally cut the ball back from the left, Andrew Murray stretched to score but only succeeeded in diverting the ball to Angus, rampaging from right back, who slammed the ball home via the post. 1-1 (51 mins). Two minutes later and it was 2-1 Point. Hugh had a great run down the left which led to a corner. Andrew Murray swung the corner in, an Aths head flicked on and there was Angus to nod the ball home from a few yards. Another minute passed and it was 3! Great play by Alexander, who was turning it on now, set up Wally for the easiest of tap ins at the far post. Aths 1 v 3 Point (54 mins).

The Reds continued to dominate but couldn’t get a killer 4th goal despite their best efforts. The Reds brought on Andrew Morrison and Duncan Hunter to freshen things up and Andrew almost scored after he cut inside and hammered a shot which Titch did well to save. Mo then had a free kick off the top of the bar as Aths looked to bounce back. Aths were to have an even better chance from the penalty spot with 12 mins left. Mo capitalised on indecision in the Reds defence and as Ali came out, he nicked the ball past the keeper who took him down. Nuck stepped up and he shot the ball towards the corner. Ali sprung to his right and saved brilliantly! Well done Ali! (77 mins)

After 80 minutes Wally slipped the ball through to Duncan who flicked it beyond an advancing Titch and into the net. 4-1.
The Reds saw the game out comfortably as the snow started to fall.

Man of the match: Angus Macdonald: Great pace and workrate up and down the pitch capped by two goals.

Moment of the match: Cally, who loves to wind people up on our Whatsapp group (and big himself up!), being subbed at 1-0 down and within 9 minutes we were 3-1 up! To be fair he takes it well.