Point 1 v 2 Lochs (league 28/4/17)

By | 3 May

For the third league game in a row the Reds lost 2 1. It leaves the Rudhachs 9 points adrift of in-form Westside and probably out of the league race, given the points dropped in the last few seasons by teams winning the league has been around 5 or 6 . Whilst it was a very disappointing result, the attitude and effort of the players could not be faulted, playing much better than against Back on Wednesday.

Point team: Gordie. Angus, Elliot, Ali, Daniel. Rob, Stew, Andrew Mo. Wally, Andrew Mac, Alfie. Subs Maca, Spike, Martyn (used), Matthew (used), Lamb


Lochs started the game well and from a quick free kick Ross Allison had a chance but shot straight at Gordie who stood up well. This was Lochs only attempt on goal in the whole match, aside from 2 penalties! The Rudhachs took over the game after 10 minutes, effectively pinning the Maroons back for large portions of the game. Rob Jones was having an excellent game in the middle of the pitch, switching play well and showing great energy and technique. A cross from Stew Munro was dropped by the usually reliable James Macleod allowing Alfie a half chance but he couldn’t get his shot away.

The problem with having lots of the ball is that if the other team have decent centre backs and a very good goalie then it’s hard to break down the opposition. Like Campbell Macdonald for Back, Peter Mackenzie was having an excellent game at the heart of the Lochs defence, and with John Uig working tirelessly in front of him, it was very hard for the Reds to break them down. The Reds had plenty possession but the final ball not helped by the overworked bobbly pitch were stopping their progress.

At half time the message was clear. Keep playing like we were and the chances would come.

Into the second half and Lochs took the lead when Calum Macleod took advantage of a mix up and was taken down by Gordie in the Reds goal for a penalty. Up stepped John Uig and sent the ball into the left corner beyond Gordie.

The Rudhachs responded well and pinned the Maroons back in their own half for pretty much the rest of the game. Lots of corners came and went without a good chance until Elliot had a great opportunity  but the ball ended up in James’ hands from only 5 yards out. Daniel also  had a great chance but fired into the side netting. Rob Jones had a thunderous left footed shot blocked by Peter Mackenzie as the Reds tried and tried.

Five minutes from time Lochs took advantage of a misunderstanding and broke. The ball was fed through to Calum Macleod who was taken out again by Gordie in an identical challenge to the earlier one. John Uig stepped up and went the other way while Gordie went the same way.  0-2. Surely no way back for the Reds.

The Rudhachs grabbed a lifeline when Ali Gillies volleyed home after Stew had flicked on Wally’s superb free kick delivery.  1-2. Incredibly there was still time for James to produce another ridiculous save from Wally’s header (similar to last years league decider save). A minute later Angus Macdonalds acrobatic goal bound scissor kick was blocked a couple of yards out. Soon after Ref Maclean blew the whistle on another gutting night for the Reds.

Man of the match: Rob Jones. Superb, classy performance from  the Reds Winter signing. Drove the team on, winning the ball and distributing brilliantly.