Point 1 v 2 Westside (league 14/04/17)

By | 21 April

The Reds were unlucky to lose their first league game of the season to Westside on Friday. Despite having the bulk of possession, corners and shots on goal the Rudhachs final ball or shooting let them down.

We started with a 4 3 3 formation. Gordie in goal, Martyn, Elliot, Angus and Daniel across the back. Hugh, Stew and Rob in midfield with Wally up front, Andrew Murray on the left and Andrew Macmilllan on the right.

The Reds started the better team and were rewarded when Wally turned and volleyed the ball in off the post with his left foot. It came after some excellent work down the left from Stew Munro. Westside had a decent spell after the goal but Luke Mackay’s touch let him down when it looked like he might get a shot off in their best chance. Point then came back into the game and had a series of shots from 20-25 yards, none of which really tested Lurch in the West goal.  The game was being played at 100 mph but ref Neil Macritchie was doing a good job of keeping everyone under control.

At half time the Reds were fairly comfortable but we knew the next goal would be crucial. After a couple of minutes of the second half the ref shouted over to me to run into his changing room as he had forgotten to take his cards back out with him. The Point ladies baking is so good it makes people forget themselves! Anyway, I ran back onto the pitch and did the classic Gazza Red card joke that pretty much everyone had told me to do. Luckily, Neil just laughed.

Things on the pitch weren’t so amusing as a mix up between Gordie and Daniel led to West equalising through Alex John Morrison. Coach Stoodie went mental on the sidelines. A few minutes later things got worse for the Reds when Innes Iain Morrison, the West’s main threat on the night, chipped the ball over Gordie for a cracking goal, though again the Reds defence might have done better. So from a fairly comfortable 1 0 lead, Westside had turned it round with pretty much their first shots on target.

The Rudhachs regrouped and for the last half hour really took it to Westside, who had to defend very well. Wally was taking a kicking from the defence but it was never the same guy and so they avoided cards. Rob Jones had a shot which whistled inches past with Lurch beaten. Stew hit the outside of the post with a volley and skied another one into the car park as the clock ticked on. Scrambles were cleared as the ball wouldn’t fall to a Red jersey. West had a good chance to seal it but Gordie blocked Luke’s shot well. Andrew Macmillan had a good chance but shot too early when he might have taken it on. Breathless stuff but alas, the whistle blew and the game was up.

Man of the match: Stew Munro