Point 3 v 2 Aths (Acres Cup semi) 17/04/17

By | 23 April

The Reds survived a late scare to make it through to the Acres Cup Final, where they will face Westside on the 5th May.

The Reds lined up with Gordie in goal, Hugh, Elliot, Angus and Daniel across the back. In midfield was Andrew Murray, Stew and Rob with Wally up front and the Andrew’s Macmillan and Morrison on either side.

Point started the game well and Rob Jones scored after a couple of minutes, firing in left footed after Andrew Murray’s penalty had hit the post. The spot kick was awarded after Aths keeper Craig Macleod upended Andrew Morrison as he tried to latch onto a through ball.

A few minutes later and it was two. Andrew Morrison cushioned a long pass delightfully into the path of Wally who continued his hot streak by volleying the ball home as Craig came out. Andrew Mo was making up for missing the first two games through suspension with 2 assists in the first 5 minutes!

As the game progressed the Rudhachs were on top although Aths were battling away as always and indeed might have got a goal back but Jamie Fraser hit the ball over following good play from ex Reds hitman Mo Khalil. The Reds went on the attack and forced a number of corners but weren’t quite able to take advantage, Elliot coming closest with a towering header just past the post.

At half time the lads were reminded that a cup final was at stake and the next goal would be crucial. It was our 3rd game in 6 days at the very start of the season and legs and minds would be getting weary so subs would be important.

The 2nd half kind of coasted along with not a lot happening. The Rudhachs happy to have the lead whilst Aths couldn’t really break through the Reds defence. After about an hour Wally scored his second when his long range free kick drifted over Craig, who could only help it into the net. Brilliant vision or slight jaminess, Wally won’t care as it puts him onto 6 goals already! The free kick was awarded after Hugh had been tripped raiding forward from his unaccustomed right back role, a role he performed very well.

The Reds had a few chances to score more but the final pass or finish was poor, not helped by the bobbly pitch which was on its 5th game already. Aths also have Ali Koch at the back who is the master of the last ditch tackle!!

Aths continued to work hard and scrap for every ball and were eventually rewarded when Mo wrapped his long leg round Elliot and crossed the ball over. Gordie did well to swat the ball away but in the follow up Scott Macaulay’s shot was deflected in via Angus and Aths raced to get the ball back. 3 1. A couple of minutes later and silky play by Mo led to confusion in the Rudhach defence allowing the Egyptian striker to poke the ball in. From nowhere the hoops were back in the game. ┬áPanic stations for the Rudhachs but soon after ref Macritchie’s whistle came to the rescue and we were through to the Acres final for the first time in ages! Woooohhoooo.

Man of the match: Andrew Morrison