Point 5 v 1 Harris (Eilean Fhraoich cup first leg)

By | 13 June

First Leg:
Point 5 v 1 Harris
The Reds took a giant step towards reaching the semi final with a convincing win over Harris at the Camp Roo. The biggest difference between the teams was highlighted by the Rudhachs two best players. At one end Angus Macdonald scored four goals for the Reds whilst at the other end keeper Ally Lamont was inspired and had 3 or 4 excellent saves.
Point team: Ally L. Andrew Mackay, Ally G, Macca, Matthew. Andrew Mac, Spike, Andrew Murray, Daniel. Angus, Wally. Subs. Kevin Flower (for Spike), Alex Lamb (for Andrew Mackay), Cage (for Angus), Euan Macdonald (for Andrew Mac), Alfie (for Daniel)

The Reds started well although it took a good 20 minutes or so before they broke the deadlock, Angus curling the ball nicely beyond Sweeney in the Harris goal following a corner. It wasn’t long before Angus made it two when he stroked the ball into the corner following a flowing move. At the other end Ally Lamont produced a brilliant left handed save to deny Harris’ Andrew Morrison, a player the Rudhachs normally love (he plays for us in the other senior competitions) but a real menace tonight!

Harris struggled for the rest of the half (they don’t play together much) and this period was essentially when the tie was won. Further goals by Angus and Macca from a corner put the Rudhachs in control at half time.

The Hearachs came out in the second half with renewed vigour and in midfield duo Jody Shiels and Hugh Morrison they had an excellent engine room, although Spike (and then Kevin) and Andrew Murray were matching them. Eventually the Hearachs got on the score sheet and it was Kenny Macsween who managed to break through before sliding the ball under Ally and into the net. For the next 15 minutes the Hearachs took it right to the Rudhachs but were thwarted by a combination of good defending and brilliant goalkeeping, whilst at the other end the Reds looked like scoring whenever Angus or Wally got on the ball.

After about 70 minutes Angus tore away down the left before cutting inside and burying the ball beyond Sweeney. This seemed to deflate the Hearachs a bit and the game then drifted for a while, interrupted by a flood of substitutions. Alex Lamb did send Cage clean through with a wonderful pass but the striker could only knock the ball wide. There was still time for another great save by Ally to deny Shiels from a free kick before the ref blew the full time whistle.

Point Man of the match: Angus Macdonald. Big thumbs up to Ally Lamont too.

Moment of the match: One of the Harris defenders passed the ball back to debut boy Sweeney in goals. As the Niseach legend went to trap the ball it went under his foot and there was much hilarity as he desperately sprinted(!) back to get the ball which fortunately for him slipped past the post and wide.