Match Report: Point v Lochs 15/06/15

By | 24 June

Local boys done good

Point 3 v 0 Lochs

(E and F cup first leg) 15/6/15

Match Details Here

The Reds will take a  3 goal advantage into the second leg of the Eilean an Fhraoch cup first round after defeating an understrength Lochs team at the Camp Roo. It was a good night for the Reds who were missing a number of players themselves, though the second leg will be very tough, particularly if the Lochs all star injury list clears up.

First half
Well it was my first game in three weeks (not that I play), having been struck down by a mystery virus. The players had been doing very well, winning all but one game (controversial draw up in Ness) and we had even won our first cup in years. I was begining to think I should stay away! The cup final was a nightmare to miss, having to rely on Scotty Bomb text messages for a nail biting, gut wrenching final 15 minutes. But we did it and I was so happy I had a second tunnocks tea cake, Rock n Roll Baby!

Anyway, to the game. The Reds had most of the possession to begin with but after 6 minutes some slack defending led to a Lochs corner. The ball in was a good one, Ally Lamont half punched it clear and it fell to Graeme Mackenzie, my maths teaching buddy, on the volley. Graeme got his angle of elevation all wrong and the ball sailed a beautiful parabola over the bar – unlucky G Mac!

As the game progressed it became clear that the Lochies would allow the Reds possession up to a point before closing ranks and looking to play on the break, with Ross Allison of United a particular speed merchant we would have to look out for. The Reds needed some inspiration and as so often this season, it was to come from Super Wally, Super Wally, away, away, away.  The mini Messi cut inside Stuart Mcqueen before firing the ball towards the keeper’s far left hand post. Gordy got down well to it and pushed the ball away to safety, or so he thought! Kevin “Hothouse” Flower was on to it in a flash and from a seemingly impossible angle hammered the ball high into the net off the crossbar. Great finish Kevin! Point 1 v 0 Lochs (19 mins).

A few minutes later and Elliot had a long distance shot which Gordy saved well. The Reds were struggling to break through the Lochs defence and the management team were getting frustrated, and itchy;  the flicking midges were out, can this summer get any worse? The Lochies started to have the odd raid forward and Don Wilson, brought out of retirement, was holding the ball up well and giving Point’s fresh faced new centre back, Iain “Maccarena” Mackenzie, a good run for his money! Indeed, after 32 minutes, a ball was played over the top beyond “Macca”, and there was young Ross Allison speeding on to the ball. Ally Lamont came out like a shot and all the yougster could do was hit the ball over the bar. Phew.

There was one more chance in the first half and once again it was Wally and his feet of flames that created it. He danced around a couple of challenges in the box before clipping the ball over Gordy towards the far corner.  It deserved a goal but alas, the crossbar was to come to the Maroons rescue and minutes later the teams trotted in for half time with the scoreline unchanged.

Half time
We urged the players to try and up the tempo, close down, use our better fitness, take more shots etc.  We know that in all probability the Lochies will  have 4 or 5 Select players back for the second leg so we needed a few more goals if possible. We also decided to use our wildcard, young United starlet Alfie Macmillan, who came on for another youngster Andrew Mackenzie, who himself had done well at full back.

No time for cakes, filled some water bottles, had a quick look at the Jock Stein Cup, (WHICH WE WON), and headed out for the second half.

Second half
Alfie was straight into the action at outside left and was showing some nice touches, combining well with Elliot and Daniel. After 53 minutes he was played clean through by Super Wally and only a fine save by Gordy thwarted the youngster, so close! 2 minutes later and Wally turned his man before unleashing a howitzer of a volley from 40 yards. What a strike but unfortunately it just cleared the crossbar (more of that later). Surely there was a goal coming.

The Lochies were then reduced to ten men when Craig Maclean was sent off for something he said. Could the Reds make the extra man count?

After 62 minutes Wally won a corner with some more sublime skills. Alexander swung in a beauty towards the back post, Elliot decided to header the post instead of the ball and there was a selection of heads, arms, legs and posts as the ball ended up in the back of the net. I think we are giving the goal to Alexander as it was a wonderful delivery, though I have my suspicions a Lochie head may have got the final touch. Point 2 v 0 Lochs (62mins)

2 minutes later and it was 3 v 0 when Daniel “the Spaniel” saw the ball and ran towards it with his tongue hanging out. As the corner came in from Wally, Daniel met the ball perfectly on the run and glanced it into the net, giving Gordy no chance. Cracking header. Daniel “the Spaniel” then ran into the net, burst the ball with his teeth and ran off with it in his mouth towards Seaview, but we didn’t mind. Point 3 v 0 Lochs.

It was a good spell for the Rudhachs and Alexander was next to threaten, when following a lightening counter attack, his shot went inches wide with Gordy rooted to the spot (67). The Reds then made a couple of subs, with Ian “Fish” Mackinnon replacing Macca and Andrew “Blackie” Black replacing Kevin Flower. The Lochies were forced to make a sub as Don Wilson was struggling with cramp. Manager Dave Macmillan, himself recovering from injury, came on in his place.

After 79 minutes Dave showed that even when not fully fit, he is more than capable of coming up with something special. The ball fell to him 40 yards out and he instinctively hit a thunderbolt of a shot, dipping and swerving towards the far corner. Ally Lamont went to catch it, didn’t quite get it right and we all watched in slow motion as the ball dropped just over the bar. Close one!

It was end to end stuff now as Macmillan’s introduction had galvanised the Lochies. Next to threaten however was Alfie for the Reds who hit a fantastic left foot volley which looked destined for the top corner before Gordy pulled off a wonder save. Frustration for Alfie and the Reds! (82). The final chance of the game went to Lochs and Ross Allison who saw his low right foot shot well saved by Ally Lamont before being well mopped up by Ally G who slid it to safety. Full time.

Point man of the match: Matthew Campbell had a great game at left back.

Moment of match: Jim O Donnell had turned up hoping to play for Lochs, having moved their recently. Unfortunately for Jim he was told you have to have been resident for 100 years in order to play! So Jim was making do with his half time cup of coffee when Wally decided to send a dipping volley just over the bar and into his coffee cup, spilling it everywhere! Probably not his best night ever!

Moan of the match: Midges

I was gutted I missed the celebrations on Friday. Having waited so long it would have been great to share the moment. Maybe not the Jaeger Bombs and test tubes the youngsters are in to these days but a wee dram would have been nice.