Match Report: Point v United 06/07/15

By | 14 July

Kettings keeps the Reds boiling

Point 4 v 0 United

(6/7/15) League 9

Match Details Here

Following the Summer(!) break the Reds got back to winning ways with a convincing win over Stornoway United. In what was a potential banana skin in the league race, Sam Macsween opened the scoring at the end of the first half and Point raced away with it after half time. Further goals by Elliot Rudall, Stephen Kettings and Duncan Hunter sealed the win.

First Half
Coach Stoodie had a number of call offs prior to the game so the Rudhachs had to utilise the squad, and yet again the lads who came in did very well. Work denied the Reds the services of Alec Lamb, Mowgli and Ali Gillies whilst Stu Munro (injured in Jersey), Stu Flower (injured in Ness) and Stephen Campbell (ill) where all unable to start. Ruari Miller was on holiday. Angus Macdonald came in at centre back, Matthew Campbell at left back, Duncan “Neur” Hunter (am I at N?) into midfield and Alexander Macdonald at left wing.

It had been a lovely day and my brother was up on holiday with his family. We decided to have a bbq at Garry beach. Almost there and it became foggy! We decided to go to Coll beach, too windy! So we ended up at the Braighe which was lovely except that it’s only 2 mins from my parent’s house and we could have just eaten there! Eventually the fog engulfed us at the Braighe and that’s how the game started at the Camp Roo a few hours later.

The first chance came when Sam escaped down the right and hammered a cross along the 6 yard line but there was nobody there to tap in and it was cleared to safety (7 mins). United were keeping their shape well and the Reds were struggling to get shots away to test Jack Maclennan in the United goal. After 16 mins Wally’s corner found Angus inside the box but his shot was blocked by a United defender.

United hadn’t offered much going forward but they had a couple of good breaks around the 20 minute mark, with Scott Montgomery and Andrew Morrison heavily involved. Luckily for the Reds we had two quick centre backs in Elliot and Angus who could keep up with the two forwards. After 24 minutes Elliot made a run forward and his shot was eventually flicked just over by Sam with his back to goal. Alexander was having a good game down the left and he and his marker David Allan were involved in numerous tussles. David ended up with a bloody nose and proceeded to play on with the biggest bit of cotton wool up his nose ever! As he came to take a throw beside me I said “David you can probably take the cotton wool out now?” “Oh yeah, I’d forgotten about that!”, Daniel, who was impatiently waiting for the throw in:  “Hurry up”.    David: ” I’m sorry but I was talking to your managers”. Nice exchange with no swearing.

Alexander then had a couple of shots which Jack dealt with comfortably, but the Reds were ramping up the pressure. After 34 mins Wally had a shot well saved by Jack as the Rudhachs probed for a first half settler. From the resultant corner, Elliot’s towering header found Daniel but he was leaning back and volleyed high over the bar. After 38 minutes Wally skinned 2 or 3 players down the left and cut the ball back to Sam, 7 yards out. The ball bobbled up and Sam was unable to sort himself out to get his shot away. (it looked like he was trying to do keepy ups with a hot coal!) Surely the goal was coming.

After 41 mins Spike tried a shot from 40 yards which bobbled wide and had Coach Stoodie going ballistic! Not that Spike doesn’t have it in his locker but he is not renowned for his long long range shooting. After 44 mins the Reds won a throw down the right equal with the box. Wally threw in quickly to Sam, who spun his man and shot left footed from the corner of the box. The ball rocketed past Jack into the far top corner. Waaw, what a strike. You could tell it was a beauty because you could hear people gasp. Point 1 v 0 United. Half time.

The dressing room was fairly relaxed thanks to Sam’s firecracker and the chat was to keep working hard, playing on the front foot, and more chances would come our way.

As we came out for the second half it became apparent that Coach Stoodie had commandeered young Matthew Wright to get some teas and treats for us.  Well, didn’t  he come back with a tray with our drinks and a selection of beautiful cakes.  Never had I seen the likes at a football match….. As the subs looked on with envy, Angus and I gorged ourselves. Mmmmmm.

Second Half
United started the half well and won a couple of corners, though they both came to nothing. After 55 mins Wally had a long distance shot tipped over by Jack as the Reds tried to get going again. Four minutes later and the Rudhachs doubled their advantage when, following an inswinging free kick by Alexander, Elliot had a shot saved byJack before cheekily back heeling the rebound into the corner. Nice goal! Point 2 v 0 United.

This goal seemed to relax the boys as their passing and movement improved from 60 mins onwards. After 63 mins some lovely interplay betweeen Kettings, Wally and Sam ended with Kettings flying into the box from right back. Kettings took one look up and hammered the ball across the keeper into the far corner. Great goal! Point 3 v 0 United.

The goal seemed to galvanise Kettings to go on more runs as he turned into Dani Alves for the next 20 mins. Back and forth he ran, supplementing Sam and Wallys interplay and causing headaches for the United full back James Macaulay, who resorted to lying on top of the Point players to try and stop them. Sam enjoyed munching on the sacred turf! Not.

The Reds continued to press forward and Duncan, Wally and Alex continued to combine nicely. The game began to drift a wee bit as both teams knew the result was in the bag for the Rudhachs. There was time for another goal and it was another beauty. Great play between Wally and Sam sent the latter sprinting away down the right. Sam squared the ball across the goal and there was Duncan “Ozil” Hunter sliding in for his 6th of the season. Point 4 v 0 United. (82 mins)

United were down and out but could have snatched a late consolation, first when Scott Montgomery shot wide from a good position, and then when Kevin Flower shot powerfully from 18 yards. Ain’t nobody gonna take a clean sheet away from Wrighty though! The legend sprung to his left and beat the ball away. Full time.

Point man of the match: Stephen Kettings, a performance with everything you’d want from a full back.

Moment of match: Sam smashing in that left foot screamer. Get in there!!

Moan of match: Elliot (6ft 3 ish)was laughing/moaning about wee Andrew Morrison from Harris who plays up front for United. Apparently the feisty youngster (5ft 7 and 16yr old?) was telling the Reds stopper he was gonna deck him and do this and that to him!