United 1 v 3 Point (league game 6)

By | 28 June

The Reds began their long journey up the table  with a hard earned victory over United at Goathill. The goals came  from Ali G, Angus and a late Wally penalty after Hamish Macdonald and given the townies the lead.

Point Team: Gordy, Hugh, Ali G, Elliot, Matthew C, Jones, Andrew Mu, Andrew Mac, Wally, Angus, Stew. Subs: Daniel, Macca, Andrew Mo, Alfie, Spike

Point started the game well, pinning the Tangerines back in their own half, but as has happened so often this season, the opposition scored with their first shot on goal. Having had countless corners and shots blocked by the United defence, the Tangerines broke away after 25 mins; Kenny Macsween was able to feed it to Hamish and as Gordy came out he slipped it underneath the Rudhach keeper and into the net. Coaches Stoodie and Macaulay were dumbfounded as memories of Lochs and Carloway resurfaced. This can’t be happening!

As usual United keeper Jack MacLennan was in top form and he denied Angus Macdonald from close range as the Rudhachs pushed for the equaliser. At the other end Hamish had a shot blocked as the Reds wobbled a bit after conceding the opener. Eventually the pressure told for the Rudhachs though, and it was a cracking Ali G header from Wally’s pinpoint corner which gave Jack no chance. There was still time for the Reds to take the lead before half time and it was Angus who got in behind the left back to steer the ball home as Jack came out. What a turnaround and the Rudhachs went in to half time a lot happier and relieved than they might have been.

As the game progressed the Reds started to play really well, with Stew Munro and Wally linking up brilliantly and causing the United defence no end of problems. For all that though, the United back four and goalkeeper continued to thwart the Reds advances (one save from a header was outrageous) and while it was 2-1 there was always a danger that we would be caught on the counter again. Eventually the Rudhachs got the third goal and it came after a wonderful bit of skill and power from Stew. Receiving the ball on the touchline standing still, he did the old classic of knocking the ball one side of the defender and collecting on the other. As he made his way into the box the defender who had been beaten attempted to tackle him from behind, never a good idea in the box. Referee Macleod had no hesitation in pointing to the spot and Wally did the rest, sending Jack the wrong way.

The Reds were able to see out the match comfortably and  start their march up the table. Where that will end, you just never know…..

Point man of the match: Stew Munro. Showed great pace and power and a fantastic touch throughout.